Workers’ Compensation Attorneys


Tim Hamill: Anyone can get hurt at work. At Bothwell & Hamill, we help men and women with workers’ compensation from all walks of life: laborers, machinists, welders, carpenters, health care providers, warehouse workers, office personnel, farm workers and more. I’m Tim Hamill of Bothwell & Hamill. We help people from all over Central Washington who need workers’ compensation benefits. We fight for them one person at a time. Your Claims Manager is not there to make sure you get all the benefits you deserve. That’s my job.

When you’re hurt working in Washington State…

If you become injured at work or ill due to your job, you may qualify for Workers’ Compensation benefits. In Washington state, this is also known as Industrial Insurance. This insurance is provided in a program run by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I).

This program is very complex so you are strongly encouraged to:

  1. Immediately report the injury or illness to your employer,
  2. Immediately contact an experienced attorney, such as Tim Hamill of Bothwell and Hamill.

An experienced Workers’ Compensation attorney will help ensure that the necessary evidence is submitted for claim allowance and that all your rights are protected. Your lawyer can often help you obtain more benefits for a longer period of time. Our attorneys serve central Washington State, including Yakima, Walla Walla, Kennewick, Ellensburg & more.

What health care services are covered?

If your claim is accepted, L&I pays for all “proper and necessary” medical care, including your doctor, hospital, surgical, pharmacy and other health care services. Medical care must be diagnostic, curative or rehabilitative to be considered. These services are provided until your work-related injury has stabilized and reached a point where further recovery is not expected.

In specific circumstances, L&I will cover other services including emergency ambulance service, special or home nursing care, dental repair, convalescent center care, glasses, hearing aids, crutches, braces, and prostheses.

Attorney Tim Hamill can help explain to you the medical care to which you are entitled. He can also ensure that you see the qualified doctors of your choosing.

You are entitled to lost wages.

If you cannot work due to your job-related injury or illness, you are entitled to lost wages, known as time-loss compensation.”

The amount of your time-loss benefit check is 60 to 75 percent of your total wages and certain benefits, depending on your marital status and number of dependent children you have when you are injured. If you are able to work, but your earning capacity has been reduced, you are entitled to “loss of earning power” benefits. Wage loss benefits must be calculated using a complicated formula. Your receipt of other government benefits (such as Social Security) will also affect the amount of lost wages.

Ask Tim Hamill, Workers’ Comp attorney in Walla Walla and Kennewick, to check your check amount!

If your claim manager makes a mistake in the complicated formula for your time-loss compensation, you only have 60 days to notify the Department of L&I in writing about the error!

As Workers’ Compensation attorney Tim Hamill says, “Every decision has a deadline to appeal that decision or it becomes final!” You want an attorney like Tim on your side, speaking up for you at every step.

Workers’ Comp: What You Need to Know

Injured at Work in Walla Walla? Let Us Guide You Through The Labor & Industries’ Process

If you’re injured at work or suffer from an occupational disease, you can file for a Workers’ Comp claim. If accepted, the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) or your employer pays for any medical treatment related to your accident or illness. If you can’t work at all after your injury, you may be eligible to receive lost wages.

Whether or not your employer is self-insured, your rights don’t change. The only thing that changes is who handles your paperwork. If your employer is self-insured, they handle all your paperwork and pay for your claim. According to L&I’s statistics, about one-third of all Washington employees work for self-insured employers.

Filing a Claim with L&I

To file an accident report for your workplace injury, you can visit your doctor, the L&I website or by calling L&I at 1-877-561-3453 during normal business hours. Should you choose to complete your accident report at your doctor’s office, your doctor will file the form for you.

If you work for a self-insured employer, you will need to get your accident report from your employer and file it through them.

L&I must receive your application within year of your injury. For occupational disease claim, L&I must receive your claim within two years from the date of your diagnosis.

Make sure your accident report if clearly filled out and that your injury is explained thoroughly – this will help reduce any delays and help to make sure you get all the benefits you deserve.

If Your Claim is Approved

L&I or your self-insured employer can approve your claim after you doctor confirms your injury happened at a specific time and place at work – or you suffer from an occupation disease.

If approved, you will receive Workers’ Comp benefits to cover your medical bills. This can also include lost wages, return-to-work assistance and disability or pensions, if you’re seriously injured.

If Your Claim is Denied

If you doctor cannot certify that your medical condition is related to something specific that happened at your work, your claim may be denied.

You can get legal help from an attorney if you wish to appeal your denial. The attorneys at Bothwell & Hamill help people in Walla Walla appeal their Workers’ Comp denials. Call 888-665-8630 for help with your appeal.

Our attorneys will work with your L&I claim manager to collect background information about your accident, medical history and work history. This will help us get a clear picture on your situation so we can appeal.

For a FREE consultation about your Workers’ Compensation case in Yakima and Kennewick, contact Bothwell & Hamill. There is no attorney fee unless the attorney can help you.