Yakima L&I Claims: Five Things You Should Know

#1 – What to Do If You’re Injured at Work in Yakima

If you’re injured at work or suffer from an occupational disease, you can file for a claim with the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I). If your claim is approved, you employer must pay for medical treatment related to your workplace injury or illness. If you’re unable to work at all, you may be entitled to lost wages.

If your employer is self-insured, you still have the same rights. Only the paperwork will change. With a self-insured employer, they must handle the paper work and pay your claim. L&I’s statistics show that about 33% of all Washington state employees work for self-insured employers.

#2 – How to File Your L&I Claim

If you’re hurt on the job, you must file an accident report. You can do so by visiting your doctor, the L&I website or by calling L&I at 1-877-561-3453. The Department of L&I operates during normal business hours.

If you choose to fill out your accident report through your doctor, they will file the form for you.

Please note that if you work for a self-insured employer, you must get a copy of your accident report from them and file it through them.

Regardless of the method you choose to file, L&I needs your application within one year of your injury. For an occupational disease claim, you must file within two years of being diagnosed with your illness.

It’s important that your accident report if filled out and explains any injuries you have. If it’s filled out incorrectly, it may delay your benefits or keep you from receiving them at all.

The attorneys at Bothwell & Hamill can help with your Yakim L&I Claim. If you’re hurt at work, call us as soon as you’re able to.

#3 – What Happens When Your L&I Claim is Approved

The Department of L&I or your self-insured employer can only approve your claim after you doctor confirms your injury happened at a specific time and place at work. If you suffer from an occupational disease, a doctor must also confirm your condition and symptoms.

If your L&I claim is approved, you will receive Workers’ Comp benefits to cover your medical bills. This may also include return-to-work assistance, lost wages and disability or pensions, if your injury is serious.

#4 – What Happens If Your Claim is Denied

If your doctor is unable to report that your medical condition is related to a work-specific injury, L&I may deny your claim.

But, just because you are denied, doesn’t mean you still can’t get the benefits you need. You have the option to appeal.

#5 – Appealing Your Denial with L&I

If you need to appeal, you are strongly encouraged to get legal help from an attorney. At Bothwell & Hamill, we help people in Yakima appeal their L&I denials. Call us at 1-888-665-8630 for help with your L&I claim.

Our attorneys will work closely with you, your doctors and with your L&I claim manager to collect background information about your work-related injury, medical history and work history. We want to help you get the L&I benefits you need. If you need to file an L&I claim or appeal a denial, let us help.