Yakima man in need of workers' comp

Get the Care that Should Be Covered Under Workers’ Comp

If you were hurt or became ill on the job in Washington State, you are entitled to file for workers’ compensation benefits to keep you financially stable.

The Washington State Department of Labor & Industries (L&I) administers the workers’ compensation program in our state. Under this program, you are entitled to:

  • Medical treatment: L&I benefits are meant to cover approved medical, hospital and related services that you need due to your workplace injury or occupational illness.
  • Financial assistance: L&I benefits can also mean monthly checks to offset lost wages if you can’t work.
  • The first step is usually the medical treatment, which starts soon after your workplace injury.

If L&I denies your workers’ comp medical treatment, you have a right to appeal their decision.

This is about your life and financial independence. Let the L&I workers’ comp attorneys at Bothwell & Hamill go to work to get you benefits.

We’ve helped thousands of people in Central Washington get the workers’ comp benefits they need to stay financially afloat.

If you’re in Ellensburg, Spokane, Sunnyside, Walla Walla, Wenatchee, Yakima or the Tri-Cities area in Kennewick, Pasco or Richland, contact us today to get your case started.

Call Us Today! »
Sunnyside man stressing over Social Security Disability hearing

How L&I Workers’ Comp Denies Medical Treatment in Washington

These are all reasons we’ve seen for L&I denying injured worker medical treatment in Washington:

  • A doctor says they can’t be sure your medical problems resulted from work.
  • You waited longer than a year after you were injured to file your claim.
  • L&I refuses to cover a new condition that comes up, even though your doctor says it’s directly related to your workplace injury or illness.
  • L&I or your workers’ comp insurance decides you’ve reached “Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI).” MMI is the point at which your condition is not expected to improve any further with treatment.
  • Workers’ comp decides they need a second opinion before they approve a medical treatment or procedure.
  • They simply don’t respond when your doctor requests approval for a treatment plan.

Where do you go from here?

The experienced Washington workers’ comp lawyers at Bothwell & Hamill can provide a free case review, letting you know your options for getting the health coverage you deserve after you’re hurt at work.

Get My Free Case Evaluation! »
Yakima workers' comp attorney helps man start claim

Different Ways that L&I Might Deny Your Workers’ Comp Claim

Some workers’ comp denials in Washington are not specifically about the medical care. And denials can take many forms, including partial denials of workers’ comp benefits.

All of these things can happen:

If L&I, your employer, or a workers’ comp insurer makes a decision that you disagree with, you have the option of appealing it.

A Bothwell & Hamill L&I benefits attorney can help you through this process.

You can also reopen your claim after it was closed. If your claim was closed and more than 60 days passed since you received the closing order, you can apply to reopen your claim for “aggravation,” or worsening of your medical condition.

If fewer than seven years have passed from the date the first closing order became final, you are eligible for full benefits. If more than seven years have passed, you are still entitled to medical treatment and should consult with experienced L&I lawyers about the possibility of additional compensation.

Bothwell & Hamill works to get you not just approved, but approved for the maximum benefits possible, so you can make the fullest recovery, financially and physically, after an injury on the job.


More Questions?

You might have a lot of questions. Bothwell & Hamill has answers.

Common Questions »
Yakima client happy after winning worker's comp with the help of Tim Hamill

I appreciate that Mr. Hamill took my case when the other attorneys in the area would not. He has helped me obtain the funds due me from L&I.”


on Avvo.com
Contact Form Phone
Skip to content